It's been a dream of mine since I was young to have a wheel, but each time I sat down, I got the feeling that the time wasn't right and I'd give up and pack it up again. A couple of weeks ago, I moved it to the other side of the shed where it was a bit more accessible and tried again... something clicked and I managed to make a few things I was nearly happy with.
|Wedged clay ready for throwing|
|Throwing the clay down|
|Opening up to create the base|
|Lifting the walls|
|Cut off the wheel|
I'm not quite up to making a matching set yet, but I like different!
|Drying overnight so they're ready to trim|
It's great to finally feel like I'm getting somewhere!
So with my new found confidence, I decided to try out some mugs. I've been mad for carving recently, (it all started with Lindsay's Eye challenge when I made Egyptian eye cabochons) and wanted to try the technique out on a larger scale. So after trimming my pots, I carved the design on to them and pulled some handles.
|Action Shot - Trimming the foot|
|Scoring the design|
|Carved and smoothed|
|Extruded sausages ready to pull handles|
|Curving the handles|
This is the first one drying out ready for a bisque firing.
|Waiting to fire.|
Still a bit wobbly, but getting closer to looking just like a real one!
I'll be working on the rest of them this week... hopefully I won't mess them up in the glaze firing!