Monday, February 23, 2015

Hello

Precious metal clay, that's where my jewelry making addiction started!

(PMC butterfly, one of my first pieces)

Hi, I'm Niky Sayers, the newest member of the Art Jewelry Elements team and I come from Surrey in the UK.

5 years ago, after giving up my job to become a stay at home mum, I decided that I needed a hobby. A short Internet search later and I had ordered 50g of PMC, a load of tools and a torch, of course those were the days when silver metal clay did not cost a fortune! 

(PMC heart with handmade chain, another early piece)

After a short romance with metal clay, I found I rather liked working with chainmaille and wire, then I stumbled into art beads and all hopes of ever being able to shake this jewelery making addiction were lost!

(this was one of my first ever art beads, a beautiful lampwork bead by Laura Sparling, I still have the rest of the set, unused in my bead display, oh how I love them)

I have since learnt the joys of soldering and I am enjoying playing more with sheet metal and setting gems.

(my most recent necklace made using one of Sue Kennedy's stunning lampwork focal beads)

I am now a fully fledged bead addict and have even started selling my own handmade jewelry elements.

(prong set Roman coins, my newest love)

All of what I know I have learnt from fantastic blogs such as this one and You Tube, so I feel very grateful for the opportunity to join the wonderful women on this blog and to help inspire and encourage others in this fantastic jewerly making community!




20 comments :

  1. Welcome to the team Niky - good to have you with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excited that I'll be seeing your work often on the blog. You are such a good fit for the team!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see you over here as well, Niky! It's an awesome journey, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome! We are happy to have you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always amazed at how many folk "just stumbled" into jewelry making. Niky, you certainly have had some fun and done some beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for your kind words :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Niky, I have admired your work for a while now. I am very happy to see you on this blog which I read regularly. I would like to welcome you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cool! One of my favorite artists on my favorite blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much Shaiha! I'm blushing!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.