Friday, January 4, 2013

Open

Last Saturday Melissa wrote about choosing a word to guide her for the upcoming year.  Many people have found this to be a more powerful approach than making a bunch of resolutions that are easily forgotten.  I decided to try this approach for 2013 and I've chosen the word: Open.


I would like to be open to new experiences, rather than being fearful of change.  I will strive to be open to new learning and open to change, rather that clinging to the safety of old ways of doing things.  I hope to be open to pushing my jewelry in new directions with out paralyzing myself with anxiety over whether it is good enough (to me that often means perfect) or not.


To that end I have signed up for an e-course on wire working by Kerry Bogert.  I've wanted to improve my wire skills for a long time.  I'm attracted to contemporary forms of wire work, such as Kerry does, but I've been afraid of mangled and bent up wires.  I envision my wire work looking like a ball of yarn the cat has played with.  But, I'm banishing that image from my mind now and forging (pun intended) ahead!  I will be open to new jewelry adventures! 


I look forward to sharing my efforts - both the challenges and the successes, with you.  I will strive to be open to learning from my mistakes without self-judgement.  Intellectually I know that all learning involves some frustrations and failures. Its just that getting that intellectual knowledge into my heart is sometimes tough. But I know that if I am not open to experiencing the inevitable set backs, I will never move forward.


I've done some simple wire work, as you can see in these pictures, but it is very laborious for me.  The finished pictures don't show all the times I've cut apart the wired links and done them over (& over!) because they looked crooked, bent or wonky in some way.  Plus there are so many more wire techniques I hope to learn.

Do you have a word for the new year, or some jewelry goals you hope to achieve?  Share your thoughts here.  For one thing it helps to make your goals public and for another, we can inspire and support one another.  I'm looking forward to your comments!

Linda
Linda Landig Jewelry

6 comments :

  1. I love your word for the year. I chose the word BRAVE, and I'm typically one who chooses not to try new things for fear of failing.

    I so wanted to sign up for Kerry's wire class but had already committed to so many other things. It looks like a great class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brave is a good, strong word! It will be fun to look back next year and see all the good ways this word has impacted your life!

      Delete
  2. I hope to improve my photography and keep my jewelry table and supplies more organized.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny you chose open. I am torn betweem 2 words - one is open for similiar reasons that you chose it. The other word is streamline - everything - my house, me, clutter, etc. Maybe I will try both!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think open is a really good choice for your focus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very happy to have you in class, Linda! And your word is a good one!! I've been choosing a word for the past 5 years. It is so much more meaningful, at least to me, than resolutions.

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.